Errata Petroleum Geophysics 1st edition
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.
Errors you find, or we find ourselves, are immediatly correct in GeoCLASS and they will be corrected in future editions of Petroleum Geophysics. Below is a list of errors found in the 1st edition of Petroleum Geophysics (ISBN-978-82-93099-00-0):
- Page 13: In left column, by convention, elongation should yield negative and compaction positive strain.
- Page 13: In the caption of the first graphic in the right column, it should say ... = γ/2, and not ... = g/2.
- Page 17: Equation 1.5.1 should be μ = E / 2(1 + ν) as in equation 1.3.2, and not μ= E / 2(1 + 2ν).
- Page 33: Equation 4.4.1 should be the same as eq. 2.1.1. Equation 4.4.3 should be eq. 4.4.1.
- Page 31: Equation 4.2.2 should be
- Page 33: Equation 4.4.1 should be
Basic Seismic Signal Theory and Processing:
- Page 179: In the figure, the order of shot 1, 2, 3, etc under Gathered traces should be reveresed, i.e. the bottom trace is for shot 1 and the above is shot 2, etc.
- Page 201: The equation reference in top right column should be to 3.2.2, not 4.3.2.
- Page 139: The graphs in the image are wrong, and the image should be like this
- Page 400: Equation 3.12.1 should be
- Page 400: The word "neglecting" should be replaced with "approximating" under equation 3.12.1
- Page 400: The text "Lambda-Rho" and "Mu-Rho" should be "λ-ρ" and "μ-ρ".
- Page 400: The caption should say: "Crossplot of μ-ρ and λ-ρ. Note the orthogonal seperation of lithologies".
- Page 401: The caption under the first figure should say: "Crossplot of μ-ρ and λ-ρ. Note the orthogonal seperation of lithologies".
- Page 414: The figure and equation in top right column should be
- Page 414: The text before equation 188.8.131.52 should say: "Consider the volume element and state Newton's second law and divide by its volume".
- Page 414: Equation 184.108.40.206 should be
- Page 415: Equations 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 should be
- Page 416: The geophone equation should be
- Page 444: ρ in the figure on the right should be φ, making the figure look like this
- Page 469: The caption of the figures in right column should be switched.
- Page 479: In the left column line four it should be iso-stress not iso-strain.
- Page 496: In the left column line 2 it should say f < 1/(4τeq).
- Page 497: In the right column line 2 it should say < 1/(4τeq).
- Page 537: The less than symbol in equation 7.8.1 and 7.8.2 should be greater than.
- Page 551: Equations 7.20.1 and 7.20.2 should be
- Page 551: The equation reference in the caption should be 7.20.1 and 7.20.2, not 7.21.1 and 7.21.2.
- Page 632: Equation 4.11.1 should be
- Page 632: Equation 4.11.3 should be
- Page 637: The text 'span class="scalar">' should not be present in the last paragraph of left column.